View Single Post
Old 04-20-13, 12:07 AM   #13
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I woke up this morning thinking about your bayou camp cooling problem...

I realized that there are quite a few issues that I had assumed about your camp, that I really shouldn't have.

[*]What is your inclination to DIY something? Some of the folks here on this forum absolutely revel in digging into the smallest detail and practically creating something out of nothing... and they either have the skills on tap, or are not inhibited in the least about acquiring the required new skills. But, in all honesty, you may not be one of these people. You might instead be interested in a turn-key solution that you can purchase, have it installed, and be done with it.
While turn key would be nice and all, it is simply well outside of my price range, both in expenditure and payback period.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe my self, my skills, nor what I do, but I'll give it a shot by listing some of the things I've done in the recent past with little outside help.
1) built 3d printer(s) (well, this was 2009)
2) built fiberglass mold/ production setup/shop. Built lots of 4ft fiddles
3) setup chineeseum lathe to make 3d printer parts, ended up making lots of other stuff as well (I really like this darn thing).
4) built 4x4 CNC plasma cutter (most impressive tool in the shop) to add to fairly extensive metalworking shop (MIG welder, handheld plasma, brake, sheer, anvil, cones, swede blocks,casting setup, presses, etc, etc. )
5) in progress of swapping a Diesel motor + 6 speed manual trans in to a turbo gasoline automatic VW wagon.
6) built tire mounting/ balancing gear (cheated on mount bar).
7) swapped a new bottom end in to my dads Freightliner sprinter (van) after some dealer monkey failed to torque any of the rods.

I generally just do it/ figure out how to make it happen.

Quote:
[*]What is your budget? If you are a successful doctor or attorney or politician, and your goal is to maintain a bayou camp to entertain your clients and possibly family, you might have some serious loot to focus on the problem.
Budget is theoretically around a Grand, I'm sure that will end up doubling, but that is to be expected.
Unfortunately, loot is a department I'm short on (not desperately so), if I had lots of it I'd just spend it on more/ nicer tools.

Quote:
[*]What does camp mean? When you say camp, I was imagining a humble, small, simple one or two room structure where you go on an occasional weekend... kind of a Louisiana version of a Russian Dacha. But it occurred to me that this might be a business venture for you, and that 'camp' really meant a spacious lodge where paying guests went for a weekend, and a full time maintenance man was on site to guard the property and keep up the equipment.
It is a 1890 built house that would have been fairly nice at the time, but in no way large at 650 square feet. Up until shortly before I got it, there was only outside walls (vertical red cypress planks) with bed sheets stapled up inside to slow down the wind, it was cooled by 3 12,000 btu window units run via bare copper wire suspended in the un insulated attic by ceramic standoffs. Right before i got it, sheet rock was installed on all interior walls spaced by horizontal 2x4's. I have added insulation to most of the wall area by shoving it in holes for outlets, around the window frames when I replaced them with new double pane vs old single pane(with many cracks), caulked/ great stuffed all visible holes (there were lots and lots), and blew in about 3-4 of cellulose (after it settled) in the attic. It could certainly be tighter, but a 2/3 reduction in required cooling is nothing to sneeze at.

No one pays to stay at camp, but it would be nice, I do have a buddy living there right now while he moves from the New Orleans area.

Quote:
[*]What amount of time do you you plan to use it? How much of the time do you, or your paying guests actually intend to use this camp? If it is a few times a year, for a few days at a time, that could justify one approach, and if it is for say, five months a year, or full-time for you and/or paying guests, then there would be entirely different solutions.
Up until the last few months, it has been "on" about 2 days a month (no reason to improve on $10-$15 electric bills), but lately (and for the coming months) it has been on 100% of the time, I haven't seen any of the bills (buddy living there is paying them) but I'm sure I wouldn't be happy.
Hopefully my rent free tenant will fix it up enough so that it would be used a large portion of the time, say 25-50%? Then again, I get 200 meg Cable Internet there, and here (from which I can see a McDonald's, churches chicken, 2 gas stations etc if I stand on the roof) I have to WiFi 6 meg unreliable DSL a mile to use in my house, so maybe more.

Please advise.

-AC[/QUOTE]
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote