View Single Post
Old 07-20-16, 04:57 AM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

I figured out the design for the welding alternators. I am going to by used, non working "for parts only" alternators because they are really cheap.
No point in buying new alternators since I don't need the voltage regulator, the stock bridge rectifier and I am going to replace the stock 145 amp stator with a 250 amp stator from "quick start alternators". But that leaves me with a exciter winding that is only rated to produce 145 amps, absolute max stator output with 14 volts going to the exciter field is something like 170 amps.
Also I have been thinking that the Subaru engines 30 amp magneto isn't enough to support the exciter field of both alternators, recharge the starting battery after starting and provide enough power to run a power inverter to power something like a grinder. To get full power from the welding alternators I need 14 volts only problem is the little Subaru battery charger was never designed to all of this.
So I revised my design adding a 24v alternator, battery, welding alternator excitation system and inverter for powering accessories.
Attached Images

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote