View Single Post
Old 01-04-19, 04:48 PM   #12
The Pool Man
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Typical solar panels are 200-300 watts. The light you linked to is 5W... with a motion detector built into the bulb... The expensive parts are the solar panel, the battery, it's charger, and the inverter - and the labor to install it all.
Hi Neil,

So I goofed you guys up with my bulb link. (Amazon had changed the product at that link and I hadn't noticed.) I altered the link to a 7 Watt Dusk till Dawner which keeps most of your science math similar.

So I'm getting ready to shop for parts but must ask re-ask a basic question -- do the battery, charger, and inverter require a cool space? Or are they designed to sit in hot California sun? If not --

-- would an enclosure help if it was sitting in that same sun? That is: am I water protecting the battery and charger and inverter or thermal protecting them too?

Here is the actual location and scenario I'm contemplating.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tqTKWRXrDgYZq9N46

So that lantern would have a 7 watt dusk till dawn with almost the same lumens of the real lights throughout our complex. The red lines indicating wiring, which would likely be inside of think pipes. The battery/charger/inverter would be 'boxed' in plain site.

If this sounds about right is there a kit you recommend? I've been looking and it's kind of shocking that batteries for this purpose do not exist with inverters and chargers attached.
The Pool Man is offline   Reply With Quote