View Single Post
Old 10-07-08, 03:24 PM   #8
davidbr13
Lurking Renovator

At the smaller end of the spectrum, every now and then surplus sites get a shipment of plug-in push mower motors and sell them dirt cheap. A while ago I picked one up to replace the motor on my push mower when it dies (not installed yet, as I hardly ever use it). It even comes with the switch, dead-man switch, and cord so all you have to do is bolt it to a mower deck and plug in an extension cord. You get a whole mower for less than $100 by using an old deck and a surplus motor.

Some people will complain about the cord (they will literally come up off the street to tell you 'how bad it must be to have to drag that around,' ignoring the fact that they can actually converse with you while the mower is going). I understand, but I mowed with a plug-in many moons ago (when I first got old enough for dad to make me do it), and it isn't a big deal, as long as you don't have a whole lot of trees to tangle it around.

When I get the ET done, I plan to holster an electric weed eater and hedge trimmer to it and use an on-board inverter to have an all electric cordless lawn care system. They did originally come with 36V accessories (drill, rotary inverter, snoblower, trimmer, chainsaw, etc. Even a welder), but those are VERY rare nowadays.
davidbr13 is offline   Reply With Quote