View Single Post
Old 10-14-11, 09:29 AM   #10
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

The insulation is rigid foam, (like Great Stuff) not fiberglass, so I can't just pull it back.

The pipe is sort of "cast into" the foam insulation. So, I can't get to the other end of the pipe without cutting all that away. There isn't even a whole heck of a lot of room around the pipe before hitting the outside sheet metal cover of the tank either.

When I was talking on the phone last night with Doax, he mentioned that the size of the pipe seemed to measure up close to the outside of 3/4 NPT pipe. But I wasn't thinking about just a nipple threaded in there at the time.

I DID scrub up the cut pipes. While they had quite a bit of corrosion on them, and I thought they were copper.....

They did have a little bit of a gold tint to them. I held up some copper pipe that I quickly polished up to compare it with. Sure enough, much more gold colored by comparison. Here's a photo.

My digital still camera tends to exaggerate chromenance (intensity of color). In real life, there isn't such a huge difference in color between these two. With the corrosion on the pipe, it looked very coppery.

Since I had never heard of copper nipples, I never even thought of it!

So, if these ARE just brass nipples, what's next? SHOULD I try just unscrewing them?

What are the odds of the other ends being soldered or otherwise connected in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote