View Single Post
Old 05-16-11, 09:03 AM   #6
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Right, I agree with reusing an old building, but with a mobile home you have to look at how much of it is going to be saved and reused, the original post stated that it would have a foundation (basement?), as would a new house, that doors and windows would be replaced, along with roofing and siding it seems, mobile home walls tend to be 3" thick instead of 5" to 7" so the walls would need to be made thicker for more insulation, that is why I asked how much this plan would really save and if the end structure is going to be what you really want, because rebuilding an existing building like that can end up costing as much if not more then starting from scratch and because of the waste in making things fit, can use just as much material as you would starting from new.

My garage is a good example, it has a flat roof that leaks, garage doors that need to be replaced a dirt floor and the foundation walls are cracked and falling apart, so we could re-pour and repair the foundation, pour a floor, strip the walls down and insulate them, strip the roof off and put a peeked roof on and save our old garage, but at that point the studs are going to more or less be all that's left, so is it worth saving the old building so we can salvage 40 studs? it might be because it also sits right on the property line so we wouldn't be allowed to build a new building without greater set backs, but the environmental savings in salvaging those 40 studs would not be worth the environmental savings of building a building that is better insulated and better built from the ground up if we were able to make it super insulated and fix the flaws that the existing building has as part of it's design.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote