View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 10:04 AM   #56
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post

It might be similar to this design. Every other slot on the side is blocked off on each end (and opposite on the other side). So, you have an intake/exhaust on each side, and each end. Seems like the cross flow would be a LOT easier to make, but this would be more efficient due to the counter-flow vs cross flow.
Thanks -- that heat exchanger is beautiful.

I like the counterflow in that it appears that about the best efficiency you can get from a cross flow is in the 60 to 70% range, and the counter flows can get up into the 80's. I have plenty of space for the extra length of a counter flow.

I did work out a way that I'm going to try. The twinwall pieces feed into a manifold at each end (one with a filter), and the spaces between the twinwall (which carry the opposite direction flow) are fed from the sides at each end.
I'll try to get a picture up later.

I've been keeping our power monitor on the dryer circuit since early 12/13 -- so far, it says the dryer has used 21 KWH -- not counting the energy to reheat the air the dryer pulls in from outside.
Our dryer pulls 4.5 KW when running with the element on. I believe that it pulls about 430 watts with element off, but need to recheck that.
It also appears to say that the dryer has a phantom load of about than 10 watts -- but, that may be the power monitor not getting zero right.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote