View Single Post
Old 08-14-15, 01:11 PM   #86
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post

And yeah, it's very popular to rent a water heater in the city of Regina. It costs $115.50/year to rent, however the company services it for free: WHY RENT? - Heath Water Heater Rentals
I disagree with their website that says water heaters "last only 3-5 years." We have pretty hard water down here in North Alabama and my parents never replaced their water heater, even after 15 years. Also, I think my dad "serviced" the water heater maybe twice.... (Servicing really is just flushing the tank out. Anyone with a long enough hose can do it in 10 minutes.)

Also, my wife and I's house is 9 years old and I am pretty confident (not 100%) that it is the original water heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post

I bought out the existing water softener though - Culligan wanted $300/year to keep the rental contract when I bought my house. Now that's crazy .
From my understanding, having softer water does improve the life of your appliances, to include your water heater.

Just for curiosity sake, I checked Lowes' website. They sell up to "12-year" electric water heaters and no less than "6-year" water heaters. That would imply that the manufacturer fully expects their water heater to last at least 6 years, probably with minimum servicing. I guess I just have a hard time understanding the benefits of renting, there is often very few.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote