View Single Post
Old 02-23-15, 10:00 AM   #505
Drake
DIY Guy

All of the writings I have come across so far on Exergy have been focused on the macro relationship of energy use in commercial or large scale buildings rather than the micro of single system energy use in small residential building. I think the concept is just as valuable on the small scale just not the economic incentive there yet for most to be interested in it yet at that small scale. I think most of us are already including Exergy thinking into our projects without really calling it that. Maximizing heat losses in structure, considering solar gains, passive cooling, minimizing inefficiencies, etc. For most of us the heating/cooling part is the components that needs improving and for that low temp heating is, as of yet, one of the best directions to be moving. This is certain for new construction because R values can be built in structure quite cost effective to make low temp heating very workable. Retrofitting for it depends on how much the R's can be increased in old structure, determining how low, if at all, low temp can be used. LT heating seems to be very limited documented or explored to its limits. At least in how we would like to apply it in our modern homes/lifestyle. This article is as yet for me one of the most informative on the idea of LT heating including some specifics on applications Renewable Hydronic Heating | Home Power Magazine. The note on the amount of heat emitter being a major factor in how low heating source can be makes me wonder what a fully explored and integrated radiant structure could one day achieve, floors, walls, ceilings. Reality though is we all have to choice a point to commit to the actual build of the what we hope we have best designed our projects and go from there.

P.S. here is a link to a new Passive House project in my area that is the most modest I have yet seen(though I am sure still has a non modest price) but in my mind going the right direction. They call it a "retrofit" but it is a full rebuild and only retro fit to the lot site, TE Studio - Residential Passive House Design Experts.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote