View Single Post
Old 10-04-12, 02:09 PM   #4
SolarSouthwestFlorida
Solar Southwest Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
This guy is into airplanes, so he knows a little about wind-loads/aerodynamics
and decided that flush mounts were best for his location.

Sorry to hear you are living in Florida. It must be a real PITA to be subjected to more intensive solar regulations than California.
I've heard many of the power companies down there are really anti-solar for private homes.
There's not much difference in mounting solar panels 1" or 4" off the roof surface (assuming both are parallel to the roof surface). There is a far greater impact depending on how the panels are mounted and where on the roof they are located.

High winds don't typically take properly engineered and installed solar electric systems off roofs. Usually its the roof that comes off with the panels still attached. In a storm that devastating, there's not much you can do but cross your fingers. After seeing several storms barrel through here in the 2000's, we should know!

Anyway, I just noticed some other devastating mistakes with this system:
  • The wires just pass through the roof with some sealant?! All I can say is buy some good smoke detectors, and inspect for leaks after every rain event.
  • It looks like no attempt was made to hit roof trusses. This is a prerequisite for a solid attachment.
  • The screws are not even close to sufficient. I would never install PV panels with anything less than a 5/16" lag screw into the center of a truss.

While I applaud the gentleman for his efforts, this is not an example of a proper installation regardless of the wind speed in the area it is installed.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar

Last edited by Daox; 10-04-12 at 02:46 PM..
SolarSouthwestFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote