View Single Post
Old 10-23-09, 01:31 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Pierre,

Hmmmmm......

Your application is a bit different from mine. I have a balloon frame house that had no insulation, and I had access to the top of the cavity, so I poured the styro and the void filler in at the same time and used a stick every foot or so, to kind of 'stir' things up in order to help the filler material intersperse with the styro peanuts.

I think what I would do in your case is to put down about half of your cellulose fill first, then add your styro peanut/filler material on top of that and then finish off with a layer of cellulose. Or maybe as you suggested, mix them all up to gether.

Also, at the time I was doing my experiments, the packing peanuts were all made of styrofoam. Now, puffed-up corn starch is also being used. I have no idea how good an insulator the corn-starch peanuts are, or if they could become food for insects.

By the way, if the 'static cling' becomes an issue with the ground styro-grains, you might try misting in a small amount of water into the styro grains bag a day or so before you use it, to neutralize the static charge.

Please take photos of the operation, I wanna see...

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote