View Single Post
Old 02-09-18, 09:12 AM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Passive Solar Garage Door

Hi Folks!

I recently built a Passive Solar Garage Door!

Not a new or original idea, but still a good one. I loosely based mine on the one Gary Reysa wrote about in Home Power #117 (Link HERE)

My garage has two 9'x7' insulated garage doors. They are steel on both sides and filled with urethane foam - about the best R-value you can get before going to some sort of a custom modified door.

I built a "Storm Door" for the right-hand side door out of wood and plexiglass. It is split in half and hinged so that it opens to the outside.

It's dual pane, by using the plexiglass and then adding a plastic window insulator kit to the inside.

On a sunny day, I just open the garage door to let in the heat and light. At night and cloudy/snowy days, the garage door is left down to keep the heat inside.

Full write-up on the project is posted on Instructables.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Pas...r-Garage-Door/

Temperature inside the garage can be 20+ degrees warmer inside than ambient temperature.

I could still add glazing to the other garage door, but I'm still using that side for parking a car. I wouldn't want to add additional glazing unless I can figure out a good way to still make it convenient to move a car in and out.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 02-12-18 at 08:45 AM..
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
ctgottapee (03-09-18), GaryGary (03-09-18), MetroMPG (03-08-18), stevehull (02-09-18), sunspot (02-10-18), where2 (02-11-18)