View Single Post
Old 04-22-09, 11:47 AM   #32
Hugh Jim Bissel
Helper EcoRenovator

Caught me while I was typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
(This reply actually was posted by Glenn in a Yahoo group, where I cross-post portions of this blog. I'm copying it here as it is of interest. -AC_Hacker)
Hard rock drilling might be the more difficult problem, not readily adaptable as a DIY project.??
We did the majority of our project in-house, and before I was hired the idea was tossed around of buying/renting a drilling rig, but they ended up having professionals come in. Would have been fun to learn, but I could see how it would have been rather dangerous if we didn't know what we were doing. Once they got going, they were knocking out each 250' hole in under an hour - through solid limestone. Also, they were able to blow the drillings out with air instead of having to use mud, so I'm sure that sped the process up as well.

Quote:
You estimate in the Oregon area that two 200-ft wells would be required.? I assume, alternatively, four 50-ft wells.
The numbers don't add up, if you need 2 200' wells than 2 x 200 = 8 x 50 or if you need 1, than 1 x 200 = 4 x 50

But, yes, once the math is right, one big well could be divided into smaller wells: thats why we were able to do 230 wells at 250' down instead of having to do one 57,500' well! (and have to put 6" pipe down it instead of the 1" we used!)

Quote:
Perhaps this would not be such a difficult problem with 50-ft wells, where the piping could easily be lifted out and replaced if necessary
We buried our horizontal piping 4 ft down to keep it out of the effects of surface temperature. From my point of view, I'd much rather spend even twice the time once and do it right, rather than have to repair many times (especially if you consider selling the house in the lifetime of the piping (50-100+ yrs!). If you're running all your wells in series, you shouldn't need many joints at all: a U at the bottom of each well, and then a coupling between the ends of each coil of pipe: its best to leave a loop at the top of each well to accommodate expansion and contraction so you don't need elbows there.

Last edited by Hugh Jim Bissel; 04-22-09 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: clarification of my phrasology
Hugh Jim Bissel is offline   Reply With Quote