View Single Post
Old 02-21-09, 04:47 PM   #1
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Default Looking for monitoring/house automation experience

Excepted my electricity production and consumption monitoring, I would like to monitor other things like temperatures, luminosity, movement... At longer term may be would I like to remotely control appliances, lights...

I read a little on Internet and found 2 complementary technologies :
  • 1-wire : primarily used to get data
  • X10 : primarily used to control remote things.

1-wire seam to be limited to Maxim. The 2 main products are the classic 1-wire devices and the newer iButton.
1-wire need a cable between the computer and the sensor.

X10 is in broader use, noticeably with wireless switches. It's also used with powerline communications. Examples found in DIY shops : remote, remotely controlled electrical/light outlet. But never saw any computer related X10 in shops.

Does some of you have experience to share about 1-wire, X10 or any other house automation technology ?

Denis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote