View Single Post
Old 10-15-09, 02:32 AM   #7
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Anyone want to test the effect of salting the ice and leaving the freezer unplugged while it melts with the food still inside?
Would salt+water=corrosion? Just guessing, maybe at those temperatures it's not a problem.

Here is how I defrost the freezer:
I wait for winter. When the forecast says it will be -10*C or lower in the morning I unplug the freezer in the evening. The inside usually doesn't get warmer than -10*C thru the night (starting at -20*C). Around 5am I take everything out and leave it outside, preferably in a place where local cats can't get at it. Leave the freezer door wide open and put a small standing fan in front. The circulation of air melts the ice 5-10 times faster, no scraping. After 1-2 hours the ice is gone, clean any debris, wipe clean, close door, turn on, 10-15 minutes later put stuff back in.

Very little work, and unplugging the previous evening allows you to save some energy by coasting until morning. The pulse stage is lowering the temperature of only the freezer, not what's in it. Using the fan takes some energy, but makes it much quicker.
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote