View Single Post
Old 09-10-15, 11:07 PM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

First off old people tend to just run houses into the ground unless they are very comfortable and well off in their retirement, which unfortunately is no longer the norm these days so there are a few things to look out for.
Before you going spending any money on anything, make sure the roof, electrical and sewage system are good.
If it looks like an addition has been added, examine it with extreme prejudice. 70% to 80% of the time addition means cut corners. Usually just little things like no foundation, all the additions electrical piggy backed off another room and roof that leaks.
And by "make sure" I mean have a plumber with snake cam check the turd pipe, have an actual electrician check wiring and get on the roof and check the roof up close an personal.
If any part of the house has a "flat roof" where they used roll out shingle, just tear it out and replace it, I have yet to see roll out shingles installed properly by roofers and I know flat or low slope roofs were real popular on additions all through the 70s, 80s and 90s.
If you tear out the flat roof now you might be able to save on decking and rafter replacement later.

In 1979 they may have still been using clay sewer pipes, if so, their bad. In 1979 aluminum wiring was falling out of favor but still being used some. And as always the roof could have been redone 25 years ago with 20 year shingles.

Every house I or any one I know has moved into so far has needed at least 2 out of 3 of those repaired, updated or replaced with in 2 or 3 years.

Then once you have made sure you are not sitting on any more ticking time bombs, the thing to do so save heating and cooling a get thermography images taken inside and out.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-11-15)