View Single Post
Old 06-12-14, 10:45 AM   #1
Elwin
Lurking Renovator

Default Grey Water Recycling using a household radiator

So I live in a rental apartment and do not want to renovate the whole shower, but since the hot water pressure in the building is very low and wish to save on my gas bill something needs to be done.

Shower heat recovery comes in a few flavours, the vertical pipes, horizontal pipe ect ect. Since I'm not planning on renovating the shower itself these options are not possible. Then there is this guy who built a new shower floor with a heat exchanger under it, I think the project is called Meander HR. For me this seems to be the most viable option, but the costs of such a system are still around the $200 mark. One of the most straightforward heat exchangers is a simple house radiator which can be cheaply picked up at any online market place (sometimes even for free). Some radiators have a flat surface on which, I hope, I can easily stand (Maybe the surface needs to be roughened up a bit). Then boxing it in and connecting the cold water line to it.

I bet there are many reasons not to do it like this, but maybe it is not such a strange idea after all

Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote