Thread: The sunroom
View Single Post
Old 02-15-10, 10:44 PM   #36
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

A couple of black barrels full of water might do quite a bit of heating.

It would be interesting to have one with a thermometer on it and check it at various times of the day and night.

I have a 30 gallon black food grade barrel with matching O-Ring lid if you want to try it.

I do also like the idea of some solar hot water panels on the roof there.
I have heard of people with similar roof lines arranging hot water or PV panels so that any light that bounces off them gets reflected right into that second-story window. That way you get your solar collection AND some additional direct gain.

In an architectual presentation I watched a few years ago, the speaker pointed out in a photograph of how specifically WHITE gravel was used outside a building so that it would reflect indirect light into the building for an airy feel.

I do have some of those 2'x2' plastic mirrors. I wonder what kind of difference it would make to set a few of those on the roof of the sunroom to reflect additional light into the upstairs windows. I know snow accumulation would be a problem, but even snow works as a reflector as well.

Last I checked, my cousin still had those solar hot water panels to rehab. We should play around with one of those in your sunroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote