View Single Post
Old 09-20-14, 08:26 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
After doing a ton of googling I just want to make sure I have the basic procedure right...

1. Install service port like this on high and low side:
(Can't post ebay link, don't have enough posts here yet)
Yes on this one. Schrader valves are what they're called. Be sure you pull out the valve cores before you braze (don't solder, not strong enough), then put them back in when the metal is cool to the touch.

Quote:
2. Hookup cheapest refrigeration gauge set I can find.
It's always good to save money, but buy a gauge set (new or used) that you have some reason to believe will work

Quote:
3. Pull vacuum on system.
Yes, and if the system has been open for a while, hold the vacuum for a few hours. Use fresh vacuum pump oil... not compressor pump oil, vacuum pump oil is important.

Quote:
4. Slowly fill with propane until the pressure is in the right range.
Pretty much so. Put in a bit of liquid propane into the hi-side port, to at least get to 0 psig.

Then start the compressor and put in GAS into the low side port with the compressor running. Don't be in a hurry.

You may need to let it run a while without gassing, to let things equalize, then you might need to add more... repeat as required.

Quote:
Are the high and low side pressures going to be about the same for propane? (Says 170/380 on the machine)
In my experience, they're around halfish of what R22 was.

Don't forget, this is not child's play and you are completely responsible for your own safety.

Good Luck!

Let us know how it goes...

-AC