View Single Post
Old 05-14-14, 02:16 AM   #30
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
Thanks Vlad, very helpful.

Good tips on the Silfos 15 rods. Now all I need is a monkey...

I suspect I will have a hard time finding a coil small enough on an old refrigeration unit. But I will keep an eye out.

Since this is a brand new unit, I think I will run it on gas for a while and get a feel for "normal" operation and other things (like idle speed). It will help to tune when I switch to propane.

Last question, I suspect the copper tubing I need is NOT the soft coils sold at the home hardware stores? If not, where is a good place to get the good stuff?
You can buy copper tubing in many places. Ones I found in HD is called refrigeration tubing but it was a paper thin junk.

Refrigeration tubing is called ACR tubing and measured by OD and not an ID like water pipes. The wall thickness is about 0.03"+-

The problem with thin wall tubing is it is hard to bend it without kinking.

If I need full coil 50' I buy at local refrigeration supply store. If I need 5-10 feet I usually buy at Home Hardware (Canadian) near my house.

Just buy a few sticks of silfos 15 and try it. It flows like butter and sticks to copper. It doesn't run like water if you overheat it (solder likes to do this). Also you can fill gaps with no problem. You don't even need to clean up your copper tubes unless they are green from oxidation....

Last edited by Vlad; 05-14-14 at 02:18 AM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote