View Single Post
Old 06-05-16, 04:21 PM   #22
stevehull
Steve Hull

Memphis,

God help me for what I am going to say . . . .

"Silent to the grid" means the electric utility will not know if you connect up. I am not professionally telling you this, but you can simply buy the Enphase M250 or M215 (< $100) and just hook it up to a 240 V plug (dryer, or at the panel). One microinverter for each PV panel.

You plug in each PV panel into the Enphase microinverter that makes 240 V AC, 60 Hz. This then feeds a trunk line that has other similar inverters connected to it. The trunk line then terminates at a 240 V panel or plug.

What wattage panels do you have? If they are less than 270 watts, go with the cheap Enphase M215. If more than 270, go with the M250. The M215 puts out 215 watts, the M250 puts out 250 watts.

So long that you do not over produce, meaning that the bill would be less than zero, there is no way the utility can tell you are on "their" grid.

The advantage of the Enphase system is that, if it looses 240 V power, it shuts down in msec. This means that the solar PV system cannot back feed the local grid and zap an unsuspecting lineman in the event he/she is doing repairs on what they think is a "dead
line.

I REALLY like Enphase for the simplicity, ease of use, safety and cost. String inverters (Sunny boy, etc) mean you are snaking high voltage DC across the roof. No so with Enphase. Then 97% efficiency and 25 year full replacement warrantee. What is there not to like?

I can hear you chuckling as you hook this up . . . . . .

Steve