View Single Post
Old 11-22-09, 11:35 PM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

The fridge uses around 1.3kwh per day if I remember correctly, I had a borrowed kill-a-watt on it for a week or more when we got the fridge, it's small with a single door and the small freezer inside of it, I looked around and realized that the only fridge that would use less would be something like a fridge without a freezer, I'm not sure what the chest freezer is using but I'm pretty sure it was less then 2kwh hours per day as well, both of these were free so replacing the would have a longer pay back, but it is an option in the next few years if we can find something that is better.
As far as I know we don't have any plug in clocks, I have a single battery powered atomic clock with the indoor outdoor thermometer then everyone has cell phones that have alarm clocks, this takes care of the answering machine draw, the clock radio draw, the cordless phone base draw and the cell chargers that have transformers get unplugged when not in use, mine is a switching power supply that shows -0- on the kill-a-watt over the course of a week if the phone is not plugged in to it.
Coffee is either cold proses coffee, or hot water heated up in the electric tea kettle (50 watt hours to heat 4 cups... if I remember correctly) then a press pot for hot coffee, both are double wall stainless to help keep the heat in.
Solar hot water is on the list as we could use it for space heating as well to help cut down on our natural gas use, but in talking to a friend who installs solar hot water systems he's a little worried about the heat pump water heaters being more cost affective then solar hot water... like for the same money you could get a heat pump water heater and enough PV to power it.
On my list of things to do still are, insulate more hot water pipes.
I already turned the dehumidifier switch from 60% to 65% to see if I notice any dampness problems, for a while I had it set at 55% and for some reason at that point the circulation fan never turns off, at 65% I'm not sure if it will even come on for the next few months.
I currently have a bath fan that comes on with the light, this seems wasteful, I want to get a twist timer switch so it's turned on when it's needed and turns off after the set time.
I also need to check the door bell transformers, I think my house as three of them, all of them are 50+ years old.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote