View Single Post
Old 03-02-11, 09:19 PM   #24
johnlvs2run
Liberty Lover

Sorry I don't have any photos, due to my camera not working with linux.

I was looking into double paned windows but didn't like their expense and complexity, outside storm windows seemed too much of a hassle, and window films had to be stuck to the glass. Also I didn't like that film blocked certain wavelengths of the light. I had previously used bubblewrap, which blocked most all of the view, and was not that effective.

Then I got the idea of using sunscreens, to get similar benefits without having to attach the any film to the windows. I had made a couple of sunscreens a few years ago, put them back up, and was pleased with their appearance. So I got frames for the rest of the west and east windows, more sunscreen, and put them all up. People walking by the front windows can NOT see inside of them. There have been door knockers who have started to walk up the driveway, stopped to look at the windows, turned around and left. Apparently they don't like not being able to see inside the houses!

When I'm outside, I'm not able to see inside the windows at all, but get the full views when inside looking out. I am very pleased wtih the sunscreens. I think the material is called suntex, or it is something like that. It is the thickest screen they have at Home Depot and it's in the same place as the frames.

Last edited by johnlvs2run; 03-02-11 at 09:24 PM..
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote