View Single Post
Old 08-28-19, 02:17 PM   #33
Daox
Administrator

I had some sun today, so I worked on the charging system.

Here was the setup for today. The sun was come and go, but I did have a few periods of full sun.

I got things adjusted okayish. It definitely still needs some work. Under full sun I got the charge controller to charge at 2A. It was clearly capped at 2A as no adjustment would bring it higher than that.

Apparently there is a resistor that controls the max charge current. At 2A the charge controller transistor, inductor, and diode all got too hot to keep my finger on for more than a second or two. The ebay listing does say:
"Constant current charging current is set by external resistor Default 2A (3A / 4A / 5A)"
and
"If the charging current is greater than 2A, it is recommended to attach the heat sink on a good aluminum or heat sink installed!"

They weren't kidding. So, I would love some suggestions on how to do that. I'm not familiar with how you slap heat sinks on chips. I assume there is some sort of thermal paste / glue that you can use. Suggestions are welcome.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote