View Single Post
Old 11-14-16, 04:27 PM   #1
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

Default 24000 BTU AC Unit conversion to geothermal well water source

This is my first post ever on this forum so Hello to everybody here.
In my region we get as low as -25 Celsius in the winter and +40 Celsius in the summer, the house that I have to heat is a 67 square meters footprint and 2 levels so 134 square meters. The first level is made of cellular concrete bricks 25 cm thick and the second level is made out of wood panels with an inside glass wool isolation. the whole house will be covered on the exterior in 100 mm thick styrofoam. All the windows are double glazed.
The water well is 44 meters deep, the first layer of water is 13 meters deep and the second layer of water was found at the last meters of the well so about 40 meters. I did measure the temperature of the water and it was 15 Celsius .... I ve test it during the summer but I suppose its pretty constant.
My idea is to convert this AC unit to a well water feed geothermal heater for the house and maybe also adapt a water heater for domestic use.

I m a newbie to this domain but I have very good technical understanding and I m very glad that I have found a proper forum were talk more about it and hopefully get some good advises from you.

TOROS KFR-70W AC Unit
Rated power 2.5 KW
Heating/cooling power 24000 BTU
Refrigerant type: I believe R22 (check the photo with the label )
Refrigerant quantity 2.6 Kg

(I did not manage to find anything online about it so help here if you can, a service manual would be great)

I will get in to the possession of this unit in a few days and I ll open it up so we can see the inside of it.

Anyway what I was thinking is to get a big barrel that I can seal very tight and feed from top with the water line from the pump and also have a second hose at the button to return the water at another depth in the well.... as I told you I don t have experience in this geothermal domain but what I have in my mind an hope its also possible is to save as much power as I can with the water pumping from the well and my idea is that If I pump water from 30 meters depth but I also have a return hose at another depth (bigger or smaller) and the barrel is very well sealed the power requirement of the pump will also bee much lower .... so please anyone tell me if this can be achieved...

Another thing that I don t know at all is what is all about all this types of refrigerants and if I can improve my unit by using something else..... I cannot read very well on the label but i think the refrigerant type is: R22 or 522 ..... but it really looks as 522

I also need someone to help me find the exact length of the copper tube for the coil inside the water barrel that I will have to construct or were can I find this type of information to help me design my coil without reading a 500 pages book )

Also please let me know what how good this unit will be for my situation...I don t truly think one unit will be enough for the whole house but if it covers a whole floor its mission accomplished, if its also heating some water in a boiler its already amazing. From what I understand this unit uses 2.5 KW of power to move 7 KW of heat in its actual air to air setup.... after I will convert it to water to air + water to water for boiler using my 15 degre Celsius water source I suppose the COP will also increase a bit .... its anyone capable of telling me to what to expect....I mean I ve seen commercial 2.5 KW heat pumps that moved 12 KW of heat .... can I get close to that ?

I ve registered to this forum after finding on google some posts made by Renden so you are also very welcome here

Attached Images

Last edited by b420ady; 11-14-16 at 05:24 PM..
b420ady is offline   Reply With Quote