View Single Post
Old 08-07-15, 04:38 PM   #3
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Looks like a great project. Putting the two coaxial Hxs in parallel cuts the heat exchanger resistance in half. Good thing as a lot of the total system resistance is in those helical/spiral exchangers. Allows use of a smaller pump and less cost to run it.

Would get double the amount of BTUs from the incoming water stream.

Water tank?

Steve
Thanks, I was thinking the same things: less head-loss in the water circuit and double the wetted surface area in the HX = more efficiency.

Since you asked about the water tank... I plan to use a standard electric water heater tank with a few temp sensors. It will store the heated (or chilled) water produced by GSHP through these 4-ton HX.

From your post, I think I may have miscommunicated my setup in my original post...

The heat pump I have is a GSHP already. It has a pair of 2-ton Koax brand HX inside in parallel. These HX take the ground loop water and couple it to the refrigerant. This GSHP is only one half of the split system. It was designed for use with a fan coil unit in a forced-air sytem inside the home.

My building is set up for hydronic heating and cooling with radiant concrete floors and large radiators for chilled-water. So I want to use these 4-ton TurboTec HX to turn this split system GSHP into a packaged hydronic (water to water) GSHP. Hopefully that makes more sense.
TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote