View Single Post
Old 09-25-12, 02:41 AM   #32
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Vlad,

Thanks for posting your approach to heat sizing, your method is really appropriate and can only come from much experience... this is a very valuable insight.

But, at the same time, I think that opiesche is really on to something here... He is trying to determine the total thermal response characteristic of his house, which could be expressed in a simple mathematical expression... this could have utility far beyond just heating his house against the winter cold.

Best,

-AC
I do agree with you. This is probably the most sophisticated way to determine your heat demand. My heat loss calculations were done by "professionals" and they gave me 50000+ BTU number. My HWT which is the only heat source I used has 24000 BTU net output. We use it for heating hot water also. With 2 babies and 4 adults our hot water demand is very high. But we never ran out of hot water or heat even on coldest days. So just like always "thumb rules" rule the world. Heat demand has very wide range from 0 to maximum. For this reason I put "2 layers" of controlling (heat and flow).

This is a small story about professionals. Ones I was checking the boiler room in public library and noticed that boiler is short cycling. There were 2 boiler but only one was working. It was cycling at 30-40 SECONDS intervals. You only can imagine the efficiency of this boiler...... I brought this up but... But wait a sec this is a public place who cares about efficiency???? Tax payers don't get refund....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote