View Single Post
Old 05-03-12, 04:09 PM   #221
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Vlad,

I have read all of your radiant floor install report.

Thanks for the information, but I have more questions...

What kind of PEX did you use?
  • PEX-AL-PEX?
  • Oxygen Barrier (coated)?
  • Non-Barrier?
-AC
I used pex with oxybarier. If you look at parts list you can see cast iron pumps, so oxybarier a must be.

Quote:
Did you use any kind of silicone glue or silicone lube between the PEX & the aluminum spreaders?

Do you have any heat-up or cool-down noise?
-AC
No glue, no silicone. Omega shape heat plates is what helped to hold tubes in place. No noise on any stage. The only noise I have is noise from pumps. The main pump variable speed control make it hum more than others.

Quote:
You said that your house is three-story high...
  • Is it on slab?
  • Is there a basement?

...if it has basement, is the basement insulated?

How much insulation do you have in the walls of the house?

Are your windows
  • Single-glass?
  • Double-glass?
  • Triple-glass?

How much is your roof/attic insulated?
-AC
1.The house is 3 story building. There is a crawl space 2' high (I hate it GRRRR so low). It is not insulated yet but will be.

2. I have 6" walls with R-22 Roxul insulation

3. Windows are Double with argon and low e coating.

4. Roof has 2 layers or the same Roxul , so R 44

Quote:
  • Did you have any especially cold weather during the winter?
  • What was the temp at that time?
  • Did you measure the water temp coming out of the DWH at that time?
  • Did you measure the water temp returning to the DWH at that time?

Thanks,

-AC
This winter is just regular winter. Not too cold not too warm. We had couple of weeks when at night temperature went down to -8C -10C. During days temperature was cold as well(for our area not for Yukon ).

I didn't make measurements for DHW. I only noticed temperature in underfloor loop. It is easy to see because I have 2 thermometers right on manifold. As I mentioned before on coldest days loop temperature was about 95F in supply manifold.

My DHWT is separated from heating loop by HX. It is illegal to run DHW underfloor because in low underfloor loop you have a chance to grow bacteria (Legeionellosis). For this reason in Canada you have to keep your DHWT at minimum 140F.

Is it Safe To Turn Down Your Water Heater Temperature? : TreeHugger

This is why you can see mechanical mixing valve in parts list.

The HWT you can see on picture is an electric 80 gal HWT. I use it as a storage tank and it shares the same water with underfloor loop. I took one element out and used hole for extra water connection. I kept second element just for emergency but never connected power to it.
I use one of its thermostats to turn on/off SS pump(primary on DHW/HX side) and secondary pump from HX.

I had no idea how much BTU I needed. So I took some extra steps.

1. Raised temperature in DHWT
2. Added extra HWT (storage tank)
3. Kept one electric element in storage tank just in case main DHWT can't keep up.

But now I think I could skip the storage tank and take hot water to loop directly from HX.

Last edited by Vlad; 05-03-12 at 04:26 PM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote