View Single Post
Old 02-22-13, 08:30 PM   #30
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Use ahridirectory.org and look up the unit you are looking for in the directory under the Variable-Speed Mini-Split and Multi-Split Heat Pumps section, you can see its 17F rating. Since you don't get that cold you could match your load to that. If you don't have another source of auxiliary heat for the absolute coldest nights, you might want to step up slightly on your load requirement to account for defrost cycles which will cause the unit to temporarily stop producing heat. Also from the AHRI site, higher HSPF numbers are more efficient units. I'm not sure if SEER or EER are terms used in Canada but higher values for those are better for cooling efficiency during the summer.
We use the same system you do and almost all the equipment sold in the US is also sold in Canada. When I am looking for the most efficient product I can find, I go where most of the efficient stuff comes from......typically Germany or Denmark or Austria (sometimes others, including the USA). I find they are more truthful about ratings than we get over here. Take car efficiency for example. If some company says their SUX2000 gets 50mpg, do you believe them? I've never seen a North American vehicle meet the advertised target.

On the other hand, I brought over a 15 year old 1 ton VW truck from Germany. The "passport" (as they call it) states that it gets 9.5L/100km combined fuel consumption. And it did.

In my trade, every advance in heating efficiency comes from Europe. Every company here that makes a similar product, bought parts or technology from Europe.

Anyway, the HSPF numbers are good for comparison with other like products but I think the way I presented it above is more honest and has more real info even though the AHRI has data shown. The home owner has to be smart enough to understand it though, and I don't think the average North American gets taught to understand these things, unfortunately. Just my 2cents.

Last edited by Mikesolar; 02-22-13 at 08:35 PM..
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote