View Single Post
Old 02-22-13, 07:05 AM   #29
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Thanks, that was very helpful.
I found from the chart you posted that A 29,000Btu mini split(with the same components)
would produce 22,420Btu's or 30% less heat (then its rating) on a 23F or -5c day.

It rarely goes below 23F or -5c Where I live, So I could use a unit with about 30% more Capacity then I really need. That should do it.

I could figure out my current use in electricity over the coldest months, convert that to Btu's and size the Mini split accordingly.

And its true rating is for a 43F or 6.1c day @ 29,000Btu's
&
On a warm day 63F or 17.2c it would make 34,000Btu's

Everything points to getting a unit.
Use ahridirectory.org and look up the unit you are looking for in the directory under the Variable-Speed Mini-Split and Multi-Split Heat Pumps section, you can see its 17F rating. Since you don't get that cold you could match your load to that. If you don't have another source of auxiliary heat for the absolute coldest nights, you might want to step up slightly on your load requirement to account for defrost cycles which will cause the unit to temporarily stop producing heat. Also from the AHRI site, higher HSPF numbers are more efficient units. I'm not sure if SEER or EER are terms used in Canada but higher values for those are better for cooling efficiency during the summer.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote