View Single Post
Old 02-21-13, 10:50 AM   #22
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I'm getting ready to install a Mitsubishi 2-zone mini-split and decided to mount the outside unit on a small platform outside the second floor on the north side of the house.
I've had the mini split that I installed running for three winters, so I've had time to think it over.

I've read your considerations, and they are all sound.

I would repeat what has already been said about NOT mounting your outdoor unit to the house. One of the miracles of the mini split is how unobtrusive they are... so any noise that you hear from one will, over time, seem intolerable. The compressor in the mini split is variable frequency, so as it goes through it's various RPMs, any part of the structure of your house that is capable of being resonant with the compressor at that time, will resonate and create an intensified sound... in the long term, you will not be happy. So if you do build an elevated structure for your OD unit, don't even tie it to your house... resonance will be transmitted.

(* anchoring to a concrete pad, not attached to your house is actually a very good idea *)

The amount of length permitted in a lineset is fairly long, so if you were able to shave 8 or 10 feet, there's not really a big gain.

The idea of putting the OD unit in a carport type of space is just great, for all the reasons mentioned.

And another thing that might not have been mentioned, is the temperature of the very large quantities of air that get expelled from the OD unit. In cold weather, this air will be much colder than the ambient air temperature, in hot weather, it will be much hotter than ambient air temperature. So, if you like to entertain a lot, you wouldn't want that air being ejected into your outdoor entertainment area... nor in the area near your most frequently accessed entrance to your home.

Best,

-AC
Xringer (02-21-13)