View Single Post
Old 10-09-12, 03:14 PM   #5
S-F
You Ain't Me

There was an article some months back on GBA about this kind of thing. Apparently one of the main writers there is the offspring of the man who invented the monitor top fridge. That thing rivals modern units for efficiency and is only insulated with corrugated card board. It's mainly because the compressor and what not are on the top. I know that for major refrigeration there are devices, the names of which currently escape me, that can dump their heat to several places and it's selectable. None are on the market for regular refrigerators. Only commercial, walk-in units. It slays me that I have to cool my house down in the winter to keep my food cool. That is one situation where I'd be happy to "heat the outside", as has bee told to children who leave doors open in the cold since time immemorial. In fact, I think if I could just move the condenser outside I'd even live with the summer issues because in the winter it would be astoundingly efficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote