View Single Post
Old 02-19-14, 08:07 PM   #1
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Building the most efficient water heater..

So I plan to build my own water heater... Well maybe not completely but for the most part.. I have a heat mizer water heater very similar to xringers a7. I like It but I want to do better..my biggest problem with mine is a slower then expected recovery time and after maybe an hour of running the evaporator freezes up and obviously the efficiency drops a lot.

So if you could build a heat pump style water heater (no solar all electric) water heater how would you do it. The homemade heatpump thread has got me inspired to build one I guess my biggest question is the heat exchanger between the refrigerent and the water. What's best? Wrap the coil around the outside of the tank? Spiral coil inside of tank? Or refrigerent to water exchanger with a pump like the geyser water heater?

I know a few people have hacked small window ac units and dehumidifies and coiled the hot side inside the tank.. But is that really the best way to do it?

Thoughts? Maybe this can turn into the heatpump thread but more directed at water heating?

Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote