View Single Post
Old 11-11-20, 11:04 PM   #14
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
This part is all easy. The hardest part is actually removing the PEX lines. Once they're crimped on there they are very hard to pull off, even after cutting the metal crimps off. If anyone has any tips on how to remove PEX lines from then fittings it sure would be nice.
A very sharp knife and a lot of care! When I have to remove PEX fittings I cut a deep slit into the pipe the length of the fitting following the line of the pipe, but not down to the fitting. At the end of the fitting I cut right into the pipe for about 1cm. Then bending the pipe at the fitting the slit should open up and you can recover your fitting. Be careful not to cut into the fitting as if the ridges are damaged it can leak - particularly the plastic fittings.

Personally I wouldn't use PEX tube for a solar installation. In the past I used a plastic pipe (not PEX) and with the combination of heat and pressure it ended up popping.

Also, if you do use PEX be aware that some (maybe all, I don't know) is very susceptible to UV and degrades and ends up leaking. In Spain the most common is a translucent white PEX and I have seen lots of instances where it has been installed outside by inexperienced people and then has started to leak - I've changed lots to copper. It seems to last about 5 years before failing. It ends up very fragile and almost crystalized, if you try to expand it it just splits so repair is impossible.
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote