View Single Post
Old 09-06-21, 12:15 PM   #3
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I haven't done the insulation yet as it's still summer here until october.... All the usual has been done. in fact the only wiring penetrations into the attic are for light switches as all the outlet wiring is run under the house and those are a pain to get to as well. Some parts you just can't get to as the roof is in the way...

I do find that using manual J calcs tend to result in a slightly undersized unit here as the published man J outside temps for here are not accurate for this area cs real historic data. Unfortunately not everyone can live at the airport where it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. (chamber of commerce adjusted temps)
But I don't mind if it is a hare small as I plan to put in a minisplit in the kitchen so we are able to cook in the summer and I'd like a super tiny minisplit for the office because both of those areas have issues with conventional cooling systems in the summer here.
AC systems just can't keep up with the extra heat produced in the kitchen in the summer when it's 100*+ . As for the office the computer in there puts out as much heat as a space heater. Multipule monitors energy socking big video card etc and that is running full last for 12+ hrs a day.
Either of those end up making the ac unit run more and overcool some areas and undercool those areas.

I'm still thinking if I want to put the house unit in the shop. Since it's under 10 I can resell it for a decent amount. Then I may end up going with two minisplits in the shop as 2 are cheaper than a two head unit and redundancy is key as well not to mention far more efficient than a conventional system. Then when I add onto the shop that area will be a paint booth and get it's own unit as well.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote