View Single Post
Old 03-05-17, 05:27 AM   #26
oil pan 4
Land owner

I tried putting the go cart clutch on a 4 pole motor and as I expected running the clutch at half speed would not engage the clutch at all.
I took the very strong spring out of the clutch and replaced is with a much weaker spring and it works very well. It looks like it will reduce inrush current from 15 amp down to 9 or 10 amps.

I was told that there wasn't anything I could do to soft start or reduce starting current on an air compressor with a single phase motor (not on here, you guys are npt so negative).
Well on my original 45 amp inrush compressor, just adding a simple go cart clutch cut its inrush in half. For $50 to $60 this will likely be the simplest one step, most bang for the $ way to reduce starting amps.
I am going to replace the 45 amp inrush 2.5hp 2 pole motor with a 2hp 4 pole motor and magnetic clutch and likely further reduce inrush to between 10 and 15 amps. Yes I will have to give up about a half horse power but I will be reducing inrush by up to something like 77%. It wasn't cheap, it wont be super simple but it will happen.
So its not looking good for the nay sayers.
I'm glad I don't listen very well.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 03-07-17 at 10:31 PM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Roostre (03-05-17)