View Single Post
Old 09-24-14, 01:16 PM   #22
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSmall View Post
Hmm. If I were you, I wouldn't insulate (just) between joists, insulate below them, or even better just on the floor.

e.g. See photo 5 in here:

BSI-009: New Light In Crawlspaces — Building Science Information

or the alternatives e.g. fig 6, fig 7 discussed in the same article. You'll need to swapout your supporting timber columns tho' (e.g. with AAC blocks?).

Keep your timber warm and keep it happy.

Seen it all go wrong twice with insulation between joists here (UK)... Your local climate will be different of course, but have a good read of that article...

HTH,

Tim.

Thanks for your post, Tim.

And thanks very much for the info. Regarding the local climate here, it actually is a marine weather system, and almost identical to that of UK... We just don't get BBC, the real BBC.

I am well aware of temperature gradients and dew point, and the potential harm to wood.

This year's project is actually the beginning, not the end.

I am staying away from fiberglass, I have seen the dreadful photos of water soaked fiberglass... horrible.

I'm using EPS because it is non-hygroscopic and a good insulator. I am air-sealing all around, and at all seams.

Right now, my floor is going to be like this:

Which I take to be more or less equivalent to this:

But my final floor will be like this:

Which looks to me to be along the lines of this:

What I have not yet decided is what to use in the cavity below the EPS and above the bottom Polyiso layer.

I'd be interested in any other comments you might have, since we are practically 'Climate Brothers'.

Best,

-AC
Attached Images

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-24-14 at 03:01 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote