View Single Post
Old 09-29-12, 03:37 AM   #1
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Automatic defrost circuit

Well winter is just around the corner again in Northern Spain as I write this on 29th September so it's time to revise the heating system.

Last year the home made heat pump was a fantastic success so I'm obviously going to continue using it. The only problem I had was a lack of an automatic defrost for those extra cold nights. The result was a block of ice hung on the wall - not too efficient.

So here is my attempt at solving this minor problem - a PIC processor controlled defrosting circuit.

The circuit itself is pretty basic and uses a Dallas DS18B20 digital thermometer to measure the temperature of the evaporator. I've started with a temperature of -2 degrees celcius as my trigger for the defrost cycle - this is a bit of a guess, anyone have any better figure?

I could have used a thermistor and the pic ADC circuit but I wanted to have a go at coding for the 1-wire protocol and I also use the same code in other projects so why complicate life?

When the temperature reaches (currently) -2 then the defrost cycle kicks in. Again, the cycle itself is a best guess but it can be easily modified if necessary. The cycle is:
  • Turn off compressor
  • wait 1 minute
  • Switch to cooling mode
  • wait 1 minute
  • Turn on compressor for 5 minutes (defrost)
  • Turn off compressor
  • wait 1 minute
  • Switch to heating mode
  • wait 1 minute
  • Turn on compressor

The pic code was compiled using the Microlab X IDE (free) and the schematic using KiKad (free).

I decided to use a relay module bought from ebay for the valve control and a 40A solid state relay (also from ebay) for the compressor control. You could design/build your own bits for this but I had them available and they hardly cost any money.

I've attached the circuit, some photos and the code I wrote in case anyone else needs a defrost circuit. I'll update with how it performs when the temperature drops!

Acuario

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Defrost Schematic.pdf (26.1 KB, 613 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip defrost.zip (1.5 KB, 578 views)
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acuario For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (12-07-15)