View Single Post
Old 03-26-11, 09:29 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default DIY thermal imaging camera & other options

During the energy audit of my house, I got to see a thermal imaging camera in action. It was amazing. With the flick of your wrist you can see exactly where cold is entering your house.

I have a normal IR thermometer as well as a somewhat more fancy black and decker IR thermometer & leak detector that has an LED that shines a light at whatever you're pointing at do. It turns blue when its colder and red where its hotter than your initial reference point. Its a neat device, but nowhere near as nice as a thermal imaging camera. Here is a quick review video on how it works:

Looking up prices on thermal imaging cameras looks like they start around $1200 which is a bit out of my range. However, here is a quick video on how they work.

So, how can we make our own thermal imaging camera? I did some googling and here is what I found:

DIY Heatmap "Infrared Thermal Image" using the Black and Decker TLD100
This is a somewhat manual way of making a 'thermal map' of an image. While it would work, it would be painfully slow and the resolution leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

cheap-thermocam.tk
This site seems to have the most complete set of instructions on how to make your own images from a normal IR thermometer. It uses a IR thermometer that automatically scans a portion of the room and then produces an image from that data. It still takes a while, but the resolution is much better.

Has anyone seen any other options?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 03-26-11 at 09:36 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (03-26-11), Wanna Beco (07-09-11)