View Single Post
Old 10-13-12, 06:22 PM   #26
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Fridge Rear Vent on & PCM's in

I have finally got around to finishing the refrigerator's rear vent from the compressor area extending out 6 inches to go through the wall.
I replaced the thin compressor condenser cover on the back of the fridge with a piece of plywood with the vent attached, the inside of it is covered with flooring insulation. I'll post pic's once i put the fridge back in place.

I took the PCM plunge and loaded my lower fridge up with water jugs.
And i do mean loaded, to the tune of 10 gallons of water in 2L juice jugs, 2L pop bottles and 1/2 doz. smaller 700 ml pop plastic bottles for filling some of the larger voids.
At first i had the crispers full of water jugs when i realized the air flow was non existent in there so i removed them and stacked the squarish 2L juice jugs into the bottom, filling up to the glass shelf that normally is over the crisper.
On top of that glass shelf i loaded it up with 2L pop bottles then lowered a shelf over it.

I have two shelves left, each one has enough height for milk juice etc.
I am going to insulate the lower inside door as it is hardly ever used and not needed, since its in a key heat loss position i am filling the void.

I put a piece of blue vapor barrier under the juice jugs on the bottom of the fridge, and put it up under the glass shelves attachment points to hold it in place, keeping the cold air inside the fridge when the door is opened.
It goes from the bottom of the fridge to the bottom of the top shelf and sags to allow access to the 2nd shelf I am pleased with it
The fridge has been running for 3 hours, charging the water containers and cooling the fridge after emptying it and washing it down.
I suspect the initial expense of cooling the water bottles will be easily absorbed by the fridges increased performance .
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote