View Single Post
Old 03-16-10, 04:54 PM   #5
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I found this late last night.

How clothes dryers are tested

even though the dryer is new it doesn't qualify for energy star since none of them do. But energuide ratings still exist on them up here and mine is 939 kwh/year

so according to that page they say the average is 416 loads/year so 2.257 kwh/load... Now we're on an annoying to calculate things tiered system here but I'm averaging 7.8 cents/kwh including all fees/taxes/... that means each load on average is costing me 17.6046 cents to dry.

Now my electric rate is going up 33% over the next 3 years putting that same load of laundry at 23.414 cents/load.

My new clothesline cost me $35 for the new stuff and $40 for what was existing. So the upgrade will pay for itself in 439.5 loads or 1 year of average use. After the rates go up it would take 320.3 loads to pay for itself. I'm apparently not the average user as I don't do 416 loads a year I do closer to 200 would be my guess. So that gives me assuming I get 1/2 the loads outside (it rains here a lot) a just over 3-4 year payback.

Either way the poles are steel and in concrete or bolted to the wall. The line is heavy duty steel wrapped in some form of plastic and the pullies are metal. I expect the thing to last me decades only needing a bit of oil to stop the pulleys from squeaking.

Now my question is how much c02 am I not producing? I know my power comes from mostly hydroelectric but if I don't use it we sell the excess to others who usually get it from coal so I have no issues ask what is 2.257 kwh work out to in C02 from a coal plant?
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote