Old 09-25-16, 07:52 AM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
"Please tell you are joking.
-AC"

Which part? COPs run into the sub 2 COP range when things are actually cold. Not to mention defrost cycle losses.

I'm not sure how well the Gree units handle deep winter. I see specs provided by a manufacturer but it's hard to compare that when it's not a third party testing multiple units with the same method. I'm looking at the Fujitsu and Mitsubishi units.
Looking into these types of air-source units has made me aware of some general practices the manufacturers follow. Widely published specs will be inflated to impress the average consumer. If the units are designed to operate in frigid outdoor conditions, their sell sheets will boast this element. If not, this information will not exist in public. If you look at the installation instructions, service manuals, and/or "extended" data sheets not usually included on reseller/distributor websites, most manufacturers publish performance figures in a range outside the standardized test conditions required by the authorities. These charts and graphs are not so inflated, and if you know how to read them, you can fill in the blanks as to what data is included with relative confidence.

Looking at the Gree units, the NEO line doesn't include any low-temp data (below 5 degF). The CROWN units have this data published in their submittal sheets down into the sub-zero (-22 degF) temperature range. This looks fine to me, since the Neo line is not optimized for heating operation below about 15 degF, whereas the Crown line delivers its rated capacity down to zero. At -22, the max capacity of the crown 9kbtu is only 700 btu below its rated capacity.

For most customers, the Neo system cited is an exceptional deal. For more demanding customers, the Crown system belts out the heat when it gets really cold out (at least on paper).

Last edited by jeff5may; 09-25-16 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: info and links
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
creeky (09-25-16), kenora (09-26-16)