View Single Post
Old 07-19-16, 09:29 PM   #14
oil pan 4
Land owner

The last AGM battery (44ah) I used in my home made solar inverter generator lasted 3 years.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...or-hybrid.html
Then I took that battery out because I needed a group 34/78 battery for my vehicle and wanted to upgrad to something bigger to power my inverter. So I went with a 100ah group 31 Marine deep cycle AGM.
I have been using the old 44ah in my vehicle for almost a year now.
The only batteries that last 2 years in a solar power systems are the solar power systems put together by the lowest bidder or by idiots.
If the same people used LiFePO4 in a solar power system I bet they wouldn't even last a year. If LiFePO4 batteries get ran down to the typical 10.5v inverter shut off a few times they will be ruined.

Assuming you want to use no more than 80% on a lithium and no more than 50% on a lead acid:
On batteryspace dot com right now you can get 60ah cells for $100 each (you need 4 to build a "12 battery") and you still need to build the rest of the battery. Or you could buy a 100ah AGM for $300 that is ready to go.

I would never use lithium in a stationary application. Its a waste of money.
Plus the lithium batteries not being recycled. They just get tossed, where lead acid are from what I have read "are the most recyclable consumer product on the planet".

In case anyone thinks I don't like lithium batteries or don't use them or don't know anything about them. I build and use them.
DIY: BYOB, for more power, a lot less weight - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
I use my 60ah LiFePO4 battery to power a samlex 2,000 watt inverter which I then use to power my Lincoln mig welder.
When the 60ah LiFePO4 polymer battery goes bad I am going to replace all the 20ah cells with 100ah prismatics.

Also if you run the LiFePO4 batteries dead or near dead one time you may totally kill them or seriously damage their capacity. Also charging them when the pack is colder than 20'F will damage their capacity, lose up to 20% in one charging. The good news is you only lose that 20% one time so after you damage it you might as well charge it whenever.
That's why my LiFePO4 batteries all have Anderson connectors so I can bring them in at night.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote