View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 01:18 PM   #158
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Well my 6.4kW batch of solar panels is still stacked in storage. I'm still wondering how to put them up without the resulting property tax increase robbing me of any energy savings. The idea one of you mentioned about putting them on a trailer seemed like the best approach until about a month ago. My neighbor said the county tracks improvements from an airplane. They photograph a grid pattern of the entire county each year. From the sky a trailer mounted array would still look like a permanent structure. 440 sq.ft. of panels is going to be too much for a trailer. I could get about half of them on the roof of my 5th wheel camper but then I wouldn't be able to move it or sell it.

I've been quite impressed with the two window shakers (about 450W each)that run 24/7 this time of year. Our 2300 sq.ft. home has so much thermal flywheel effect that we are keeping the house between 71F and 78F with a cooling load of less than 900W. My upper limit of comfort is 78F so I'm happy so far. Today will be the first time this summer that I have to fire up a third window unit, and then only if we don't get a thunderstorm this afternoon.

The best thing we did to reduce cooling load is to move almost all our cooking outside on the balcony.
CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote