View Single Post
Old 11-14-08, 02:00 PM   #10
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmittle View Post
I have non-rechargeables in things like my alarm clock, but in most other things like cameras and Wii remotes, I use the rechargeable AA's that I got at Wal-Mart. IIRC they weren't any more expensive than the HF ones you posted. I just looked at their website and they show some lithium AA's too. From what I know about lithium's they are a little more sensative and would require a better charger, maybe I will have to migrate to them.
Lithium batteries are actually easier to charge than nickel-based batteries. All that is needed is to charge at constant current and stop when the voltage reaches 4.2v per cell. Lithium is a very flammable metal, however, so lithium batteries have internal overcharge and short circuit protection. They keep their charge for a very long time, but newer nickel batteries are also good in that respect.
What I don't like about lithium batteries is the lack of standards.

There are no lithium batteries in AA size (at least not 1.5v) because the voltage of a lithium battery is more than twice that of a regular battery. However, there is a special size of lithium battery that is the size of two AAs side by side. It is intended for digital cameras and actually works quite well.