View Single Post
Old 01-19-16, 10:26 AM   #114
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
I might convert one of my old cars to electric one of these days, however,

Losing game IMO, rebate like buying a bigger house on mortgage so you can deduct the interest ? Now, if gas starts getting near $8 gallon, then maybe, but of course then investment return will likely rise also.

I only posted this because of juvenile envy of the rich <G>
I've been a subscriber an infrequent contributor to the EVDL (Electric Vehicle Discussion List) list since dial up internet days. I've been wanting to do an electric vehicle conversion for all those years, but raising kids and keeping the family afloat has meant it was always too expensive.

Even using the lowest cost DIY methods you will have to spend a fair chunk of change for good batteries. When I saw that you can now buy entire PROFESSIONALLY ENGINEERED cars for less than the cost of the conversion parts I jumped in.

Of course, there are now people buying damaged Leafs and Teslas and using the batteries and drivetrain to do a less expensive conversion.

We are far from wealthy. We just looked at the return on investment. Recently a Volt was listed in the local classifieds for $10,500. For the right person that car could easily pay itself back with fuel savings.

Sorry if I've rambled on too much.

Last edited by Roostre; 01-19-16 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: add EVDL details
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote