View Single Post
Old 09-21-12, 05:35 PM   #10
S-F
You Ain't Me

Damn! A week? I'd throw in the towel. There are a couple ways to finish a really deep window return. I think Robert Riversong just uses sheetrock and a wooden stool with an apron. I also don't think he angles the sides of the return like I suggested earlier. Makes some sense since the inner wall on his houses are the load bearing ones. When building to the inside your interior wall is just there to hold up sheetrock and keep cellulose in place so you can make the openings as large as you want. I recently was working on a gut retrofit where they made a new wall on the inside to create a 12" cavity which we filled with cellulose. They didn't use a truss technique. They just built a new wall with top plates, bottom plates and all. The code demands that you have a lateral fire block every 10' so sheetrock was screwed in every now and then between the new and old studs. The window returns were framed with luon or something like that and then covered with some nice oak. Honestly I don't think that in a retrofit situation where you are building a new wall on the inside that you need to tie into the existing studs too much. In a Larsen truss wall you need to tie both walls together so the outside doesn't sag. I've never done a real Larsen truss DER but I hear it's a PITA. Gut renovating from the inside makes all of that sort of thing meaningless. You just toss up a new wall which is anchored to the floor and ceiling joists and fill it with cellulose. Then you stay warm, cool and healthy. Man I wish I had the time and money to gut renovate my house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote