View Single Post
Old 01-13-13, 07:52 PM   #6
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

Yeah, I noticed that there seem to be two or three different schools of thought and nobody seems to really agree on how these things are supposed to be done. I guess in the end it all depends on the specifics of each building, and the weather conditions it is in.

Since my crawl space was built vented, I don't think I want to go for full encapsulation. I'd have to somehow insulate the dirt floor from the space as well (that floor gets cold in the winter!), and I think it'll be easier to just insulate in between the floor joists.

I've also noticed a bit of wood rot in the rim joists next to a couple of the vents. I'll be fixing that this summer - I'm hoping I can do it from the crawlspace, so I won't need to remove the siding from the outside - that would be a huge project. Since it's only a few inches of the rim joist that are rotten next to the vents, I hope I can cut off the rotten part of the rim joist, remove it and set a new one from the inside, and then caulk and seal everything from the outside so this won't happen again. I'll have to take a closer look to see if that's possible though.
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote