View Single Post
Old 03-24-13, 01:00 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
That Klimair is also cheap chinese and the comp is probably not Toshiba. There have been a lot of complaints in Europe from people buying these these type of units. Often 2 units with the same model number would come with different comps, txv, or whatever else and there will be NO service or parts available. You get what you pay for.
I just checked out Amazon customer feedback on these units and they're pretty darn happy.

Also, many manufacturers will make subcomponent substitutions if they can get the same specs for a cheaper price... nothing unusual there... it is a common industrial practice, and not a reason to condemn a particular product.

My reservation is that compared to other brands, their overall performance is considerably lower than the best units, that may cost nearly twice as much.

I did a break-even analysis on similar units, one being super high-efficiency and the other being similar to the Klimaire units, and decided that the extra price would be justified in about 5 years, when used full time.

I was also considering a smaller unit to warm my intermittently used basement workshop. At that use rate, comparing an electric resistance heater (that I had paid $15 for), the break-even point for the cheapo units was about two years, and the BE point for the expensive units was out past 10 years.

So, I think that these cheapo units are just fine. They all have some kind of 90 day guarantee.

My overall conclusion is that if you have the money, you should get the most efficient unit you can afford.

I also think that if you are cash strapped, the cheapo units are so vastly superior to resistance heat, that they should be a seriously considered option.

-AC