View Single Post
Old 02-09-12, 04:28 PM   #17
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I think that you need to have a diverse range of food types. Making things from ingredients is great until water is scarce or undrinkable or you don't have the ability to boil or cook. Less of a doomsday thing and more of a 'I don't like going to the grocery store more than once a month' type thing, I take advantage of the sales on the chunky sort of soups that have the vegetables, burger, and potatoes. When they were a buck and I bought almost half a cart of that, canned fruit, and a bunch of 69 cent cans of ravioli. I got the weirdest look from the cashier. I didn't want to explain that I was buying food that will last a few years (in regular eating rotation, bring some to work since there is only a microwave, etc) so I told her that this was going to a food shelf. She seemed to be a little relieved that I wasn't some nutcase who only eats one thing. Since it is cooked it can be eaten right out of the can too so in the event of no electricity or natural gas and I want to conserve fuel, this isn't a bad way to go. Of course its not the healthiest thing(salt, etc) but probably better than what most of the general public eats.

Of course fresh food is best, I do have a garden but the yield is small and dependent on the season for harvest.